Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Ride Home

Well, I only have a few things to say about the ride home. First, I saw a Grammy bottle feeding her granddaughters bottles of milk at a rest area bathroom. She was holding the bottles high and away from her. The girls were doing their best to reach them. I'm not kidding...it was like she was feeding orphaned goats or calves. Did I mention they were teenagers? Kidding....but they could have been...they were WAY too old to be drinking bottles. I'm guessing they were about 4&6. I was dumbfounded and unable to hide my poker face. I literally caught myself with my mouth hanging open and staring. I just didn't get it. I was so close to sitting down and asking Grammy a few questions but I could feel my kids silently praying "Please don't say anything....please..." The only other thing worthy to note is that our AC decided not to work on the way home....from the hot South. well, let me be fair....it did work great in the back for the kids...and it did work great on our feet...so great in fact that I'm nursing hypothermia on my feet...and heat stroke on the top. I suffered from a temperature mullet. The kids were so cold that they had blankets on....so I had to turn it off...but then the smell of their stinky teenage bodies that hadn't showered since Friday was too much to bear. It was not pretty in our car. We finally got home around 1:00 pm today...and then proceeded to unpack the car and the camper for 2 hours. Then it was off to the grocery, do laundry (and it's 10 pm and the laundry is still going), then make dinner, clean up, and finally at 8 pm we sat down. Thanks to Pinterest, we started a "2013 Jar" where we write down highlights from the year and put it in a jar. Then on New Years Eve we are going to read all our favorite things that happened throughout the year. After dinner, we all wrote down our favorite memories from the week and sealed them up in the jar. Can't wait to read what everyone wrote although I'm pretty sure paddle boarding ranked the highest for most. We talked about what everyone was most looking forward to when they got home. The kids both said sleeping in their own beds. They are teenagers....they love to sleep. I was most excited to see the kitties. Tim was most excited to shower in his own bathroom. Admittedly, we were all looking forward to showering. And then I said I missed camping already and Tim agreed. The kids....not so much. And the Jack said (like a drone) " But when we get older we will appreciate these trips..." Yes, you will. I know it's hard to believe now. We told them our idea for next year, which we came up with on the 18-hour trek home...a 2-week trip with multiple stops along the way....to Key West. I could see the travel glint in their eyes...or maybe they were tears of fear...?

No comments:

Post a Comment