Friday, July 26, 2013

The Drive

When we take these long trips we try to break it up and get a few hours in at night, which is exactly what we did this trip. We left about 7pm on Thursday night and made it to New Jersey in 4 1/2 hours. At 11:30 we camped out in our usual rest area spot for a few hours of sleep. It's a good thing we are small people or this would never work. Jack sleeps on the floor with tons of pillows and blankets ant then Tim, Mimi, and myself hunker down on the kitchen table that turns into a bed. They go in one direction and I go in the other. It's not a pretty night's sleep but it does the job. This morning we woke up at 5:45 and were heading out by 6:15. The kids went back to sleep until about 10 so Tim and I enjoyed our Sweetie Pies in nice solitude. By 12:00 the car was hot, smelled like teenage bodies without showers, and I was basically lulled into a coma. It didn't help that we had sat in traffic for an hour. At about 1:00, after reaching our traffic tolerance level, we pulled over for a picnic lunch. It was great to get out of the car for a bit. I won't bore you with the details of the ride other than to say it involved hours of traffic that caused us to arrive to the campground almost 4 hours later than expected. At one point I think Tim was delirious. We saw a coyote on the side of the road and he swore it was a bobcat. We ended the day with sentiments like "I hate Virginia" and "so far this trip is not what I expected". But we all agreed we had great food on the trip down. Let's see what tomorrow brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment