Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

Every year we do something different to ring in the new year. Sometimes we host friends here, other times we have gone skiing, sometimes we go to a friend's house, and other times we are in bed by 10:00. I can tell you one thing....we don't allow confetti in the house anymore. One year my friend Margaret brought tons of confetti and at 11:58 she asked if we could throw it at midnight. I'll admit it...at that point I was in a "vulnerable state" and, of course, said yes. I literally was finding confetti in my house 3 years later....even on the second floor. Once I found a piece in my shower underneath a shampoo bottle. No. More. Confetti.

This year, we decided a few months ago that we were going to do our own thing. I had an idea that we would each take an hour of the night and plan something. The rules/guidelines were simple. You would have to do whatever that person chose for the hour..it wasn't optional to participate. And you had to approach it with a positive attitude. At the end of the night, we all agreed it was one of our favorite New Year's Eve. Here's what we did:

For my hour, I wanted to get outside. I was hoping for a walk but since we got about a foot of snow the other day, I choose snowshoeing at a local Audoboun. We had never been to this site before and we all agreed, we can't wait to go back to the Broadmoor Sanctuary in Natick. We snowshoed for a little over an hour. It was the perfect weather....pretty cold (25 degrees) but you warmed up just enough that you weren't cold but you weren't breaking a sweat either.

After that we came home and all had the broccoli cheese soup I had made the day before. Yum! Then everyone took showers. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that we have all been sick since Christmas...and we hadn't showered in two days so we all got clean and warmed up.

We then kind of did our own thing for about an hour or so....paperwork, cleaning our rooms, odds and ends....just kind of took time for ourselves. Then Tim lit a nice toasty fire and it was time to start the official hour by hour plan. We started out by making appetizers for dinner. One of our favorite things is to make apps and eat in the living room. I'm not sure why it is such a big deal for the kids but they ask all the time if we can eat in the living room...which I want to keep as a special occasion thing. Jack and Tim did some cooking and then Mimi and I made a few things. In the end we had a spread that was way too big for all of us but was yummy.

After dinner it was Tim's turn to pick something. He actually had two ideas so we discussed one of his ideas while we digested our food. We opened a family eBay account so we can sell stuff. Mimi has about 15 books that she has been wanting to sell, Jack has a bunch of video games, and we have all kinds of other treasures just sitting around that we don't use anymore. We decided that whatever money we make, it will go towards something fun on our next vacation. Open eBay account - Check!

Then it was Mimi's turn. She selected game hour. I tried not to go into apopletic shock when I saw the Clue game....that can go on forever. Colonel Mustard with the candlestick in the Hall....No? Darnit! I silently thanked her for not choosing Monopoly or Life. It was very fun, of course. We also played Man Bites Dog which is a headline making card game. At the end she served the mocha expresso cupcakes she had made from her DC Cupcakes cookbook that she got on Christmas. They were great!

After that it was officially Tim's turn. We brought the WII into the living room and played Family Feud for a few rounds. Honestly, the WII hasn't come out in about a year so it was actually nice to see that get used again. The kids can't wait to play again tomorrow. I have to say, I'm looking forward to doing the ski jump myself!

After that we took a break and for Jack's turn we watched episodes of Impractical Jokers. Now, I will admit....some of the things they talk about/do are inappropriate but the beauty is my kids don't quite catch on to a lot of it. If you haven't seen this show...you need to watch an episode. I guarantee you will cry or cringe. Basically, four childhood friends dare each other to do/say things that they make up for one another. I would definitely say I'll do pretty much anything...but that was before I saw this show. Nope. I won't stick a stranger's toe in my mouth. Nope. I won't give a person a massage with my butt. Not gonna do it.

We went a little over on the time with Jack's hour because we were laughing so hard. But we got back on track and it was my turn again. I had printed out a template I found on Pinterest (of course) that can be used each year. It chronicles what you like to eat, do, and read that year. It also asks you to chronicle the best things that happened that year and the things you are looking forward to in the new year. We had a great time sharing our answers and we put then in our 2013 jar....which is another idea I got on Pinterest. Basically, you have a jar and each time you have a great memory or something fun you want to remember from 2013, you write it on a piece of paper and put it in the jar. Next New Year's Eve, we'll open them as a family and remember the funny/great times throughout the year. We'll also fill out our new template and compare them from the year before.

In addition, I found an article in a magazine that said it was a Spanish tradition to eat 12 grapes on New Year's Eve to ring in good luck in the new year. So, I put 12 grapes in a champagne glass and we ate those as we all put in our ideas for where we are going to camp in 2013. Usually, we talk about this on Labor Day but for whatever reason, we didn't talk about it at that point this year. Typically, we come up with a list, I do a ton of research, and then I lay out an itinerary based on our interests. This year we all agreed that we were interested in the Wilmington NC beach area. In addition we talked about Disney, Deleware, Georgia Islands, Upstate NY, Alabama, Kentucky, and Beaufort/Charleston SC. We'll see where we land! Our maiden voyage for 2013 will be during April vacation...can't wait to see where that is!

We filled the rest of the hour with more Impractical Joker episodes and then we got the "gear" out. Hats, blowers, clackers, leis, marracas...it all came out. We counted down the New Year all snuggled together on the couch...5-4-3-2-1!! We took pictures of each other, kissed, and then decided this was one of our favorite New Year's Eve together.

We designed it based on what we liked to do, we spent the night with those we love, and we had a blast together. You can't beat ringing in the New Year that way! Happy New Year to each of you!!

1 comment:

  1. I love how everything you do revolves around your family. What a great evening you guys enjoyed. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete