Friday, November 2, 2012

Fall is Like a Bad Break Up

A lot of times when we get together with friends we end up playing The Question Game. Well, okay, we don't end up playing it. I basically make everyone play it. What can I say....I'm a curious gal. I love that no matter how long you have known someone, you can still learn something new about them every day. And believe me, you can really uncover some interesting things about people when you play this game.

So, how does it work? Well, basically one person throws a question out to the group and everyone has to answer it. It's so simple...and yet, when I bring it up, everyone moans "Nooo....no more questions!" But seriously, it's fun.

Recently we were with some friends and I made everyone answer the question "Which season is your favorite?" Interestingly, Fall was the prevelant answer. Not so much for me. My favorite time is the Summer: the sun, the warmth, the beach, lots of camping, longer days, the list goes on and on. My next favorite is Spring, mainly because it is the pre-cursor to summer. The days are getting warmer, the birds are chirping, the leaves are starting to turn green...it literally puts a spring in your step.

The other day when I was walking to work I recalled this conversation at the same time I was thinking "I really don't like Fall." The biting wind was making my eyes tear up and for the third day in a row, I was surprised it was so cold. I had a hard time remembering if I said I disliked Winter or Fall more when we played our game. I think I said Winter because it's so cold. I am not a fan of the cold. At all. Here's the thing about winter, though. You know it's going to be cold. You are ready for it. It's not surprising when it's freezing or snowing. It's all part of the deal with Winter.

Fall confuses me. One day can be 80 and the next 40 degrees. You go from needing shorts to needing a winter coat and mittens. You relish those warm days that linger but when the cold ones smack you in the face, you are just unprepared. Fall is like a bad break up. You are all happy and warm in th summer and things are going so great. Then along comes a 35 degree day and hits you like a ton of bricks. You just don't expect it, especially since things were going so well.

I arrived at work three days last week looking like I had just been broken up with. My nose was red, I was wiping my tears, and my body language was saying "I need a hug."

I would like to change my answer. I like Fall the least. It's too unpredictable. How about we just ease into it and every two weeks we just decrease the temperature by a few degrees? If only Mother Nature could ease us into the cold bath water. Then I might make Fall my 3rd favorite season.  What's your favorite season?

No comments:

Post a Comment