Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Joys of Lunch Meat, Cleats, and Paperwork

Ahhh….the smell and feel of lunch meat in the morning. There is nothing like a piece of slimy ham at 6 am to remind you that school is back in session!

I could live in the summer season forever. It is my favorite time of year. I love the heat, I live in my bare feet, and I love the bright mornings and long nights. For someone who craves organization and schedules, it somehow works for me that they are relaxed in the summer. It just feels like the days are endless, everyone is in a good mood, and there is so much more to do.  I think the thing I love most about summer is I love Summer Kelly. Bring on the fall and winter and Summer Kelly can be found under her blankie wishing the days wouldn’t get so dark so quickly. I don’t do cold very well.
So, here we are at the transition point where summer is ending and I have mixed feelings. There is a part of me that is happy to get back to a routine and a schedule. And I love the feel of a new school year. It reminds me of new clothes and fresh school supplies. Nothing like a trapper keeper to put a zip in your step!

Yesterday was the kid’s first day back to school….8th & 9th grade. Mimi’s last year of middle school and Jack’s first year of high school! On Tuesday night, I made homemade egg mcmuffins (much healthier version) for Jack for the week and on Wednesday I got up early and made Mimi homemade blueberry muffins. I felt very June Cleaver-ish, minus the apron. I made lunches and only gagged twice. Clarification, I didn’t make Jack’s sandwich, Tim did, and I still gagged twice. But I gagged with a smile.
I swooshed in the living room with their homemade breakfasts (first day of school…sure, you can eat in the living room) only to be confronted by grunts and eyes barely open. The finally got moving and it seemed like things were going fine until Mimi’s hair wasn’t “perfect” and Jack got distracted by feeding the fish and brushing his teeth at the same time.

In the end, Tim had to drive them out to the bus so they didn’t miss it. I was determined not to yell “You’re going to be late!!” on the first day.
Night one consisted of the usual “I need these forms filled out by tomorrow” and “I need a 1 1/2 “   3-ring binder with a red composition notebook TODAY”….here are your forms and here is a 1” 3-ring binder with a black composition notebook. It will do. Layer on the “I am going to join cross country afterall” and “I’m on the field hockey team now” which translated into finding the shin guards, cleats, running shoes, fill out the forms, and “where is my mouth guard?!”  Boy, I just love the first week of school…..

No comments:

Post a Comment