Thursday, September 6, 2012

It's Raining - Get Out The Broom

On the way to work yesterday it was raining. In fact, it had been raining for most of the night. And with rain often comes wind which brings leaves and small branches down. That’s how these things go.

I was on my way to the train when I saw something that almost made me drive off the road. Out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of a guy sweeping his driveway. I immediately thought he must be old. Old people with lots of time on their hands tend to do these kinds of things. Not all old people. I don’t mean to generalize. But admit it, this wouldn’t surprise you.
However, a young, seemingly normal guy sweeping his driveway of leaves and debris at 7:45 am in a full suit with a janitor size broom, might make you take notice, right? He must have been at it for awhile…he had a long driveway and it was all clean. Why?! Please, explain why this seems necessary? This screams crazy nut job to me. I can only imagine his wife inside making breakfast, packing lunches, and trying to get the kids out the door to school and there he is sweeping his driveway.

It’s shocking that it wouldn’t appear to be a losing battle to him when he turned around and saw leaves fluttering back onto his driveway. It’s like when I vacuum. The minute I am done and turn around to see random fuzz balls, stray feathers from my living room pillows, and pieces of hay from the bunny already littering the carpet, I want to scream. As a consequence I don’t vacuum as often as I should. I can’t set myself up for that kind of frustration on a regular basis.
Please, file sweeping your driveway under “You Know You Have Gone Crazy When...."

No comments:

Post a Comment