Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Confessions of a Bookworm

I typically feel one of three ways when I finish a book – I think “That was pretty good” and I’m ready to move on to the next one, I’m disappointed in the ending and I am mad at the book, or I love it so much that I can’t break up with it.

I love to read. I have been a bookworm since I was little. In one month this summer I read 6 books. I know people that can’t imagine finding time to read one book a month, nevermind  six, but those same people can often recount everything that happened in the last few weeks with Big Brother, Housewives of New York, and the Bachelor.  I’m just sayin’….you make time for the things you want to in life. I happen to choose books.
Mimi has definitely taken after me. Last month she read 4 books and there are times when we have to tell her to put the books down before we take them away. It sounds crazy I know but sometimes the girl has to shower or just look us in the eyes once in awhile.

Due to my commute, I have a lot of time to read each day – at least 2 hours – and I couldn’t be happier.  I have a long list of books that I want to read. Some are recommendations from friends, some come from book reviews I read in magazines, and some come from people on the train who lean over and ask “Have you read this? It’s really good!” I love those kinds of recommendations…when you just can’t keep it to yourself. For me, a few of those books are Tina Fey’s Bossypants, Gone Girl, Defending Jacob, and Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life to name just a few of the ones I have loved.
I have a friend that reads a lot and we recommend and share books back and forth. At least once a week there is an email exchange that looks like this:

Me: Ok, I’m on the part where x happens….just tell me…”does she....?”

My Friend: Do you really want me to tell you?

Me: Of course not…but if she does that it’s going to be stoopid. Just tell me. No, don’t.
For the books that are pretty good (“3 whales” on my Preppy Camper Girl scale), I usually shut the book and then immediately pick up a new one. I don’t feel invested in the characters but feel it was worth a read. I am ready to move on the minute I finish the last line of the book.

Then come the books that I really got into but have a stupid ending. I usually feel mad at the author and have the irresistible urge to call them immediately and complain. “What kind of ending is that?!” Don’t get me wrong….I’m not a huge fan of wrapping everything up in a bow at the end but some sort of closure is good. Reasonable closure. Not like the ending of My Sister’s Keeper when the girl walks out of the courtroom and gets killed by a bus. STOOPID. On a related note, if I haven’t told you the story of going to see this movie with my bookgroup, ask me about it. It’s pretty funny.

Then, come the books that I fall completely in love with and don’t want to put down. I usually finish these books in a few days because I can’t put them down. Have you ever had a book that caused you to set your alarm earlier than normal just to get up and read in quiet? Or have you found yourself making dinner and reading at the same time? These are the kind of books I love. There are times when I read one of these books and think “If one of my children came into the room with their hair on fire right now, I might not notice right away”. C’mon…it’s happened to all of us.

These are also the books that cause me to feel like I ended a relationship when I finish them. I go into a little mini depression and I can’t pick up another one right away because I can’t imagine another book being as good. I am fearful of starting a new book relationship. Or I feel like I’m cheating on the book even though things are technically over. A few books that made me feel this way were The Help, The Kitchen House, and The Red Tent.

I love the journey that books bring you on but I also can’t stand waiting for it all to unfold.  Kind of like a good surprise on your birthday. You are so excited for the surprise… there’s a part of you that wants to know…but you really don’t want to know…because that would ruin it.

I also think reading is a lot like traveling, which I love. Reading books transports you to all kinds of new places. Places you haven’t been to before and may likely have never gone to but you love, nonetheless, when you get there.

I’m always looking for new book recommendations. What are some of your favorites??

No comments:

Post a Comment