Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What's Your Favorite Quote?

I have little scraps of paper everywhere with little sayings that I come across that I like. I find them in books, magazines, while talking to people, overhearing people talk, and even Pinterest has a bevy of interest sayings.  I was cleaning out one of my notebooks today and 5 of the pages had quotes written on them that I wanted to remember.

Let me digress a minute. I found those sayings in one of my notebooks. I LOVE little notebooks. I write lists in them, make plans for my garden, jot down things I want to remember…you name it, it goes in the notebook. The funny thing is though when I get a new one that I love, I save it….sometimes for years. Two years ago Tim gave me the cutest notebook covered in a Lilly pattern that I loved and I didn’t want to use it because I wanted to keep it forever. I just started using it a few months ago. I know…I’m a little crazy in the notebook department. One of the sayings I like is “This is your life. Do what you love and do it often.” Okay, I love saving pretty notebooks …and I’ll keep doing it. It’s my life.  I can do what I want.
I bought a print on Etsy once and the artist included two little business cards that said “I will be grateful for this day.” The card looks like the sky and has a little cloud and a sun on it. I love them. I keep one on my fridge and one in my office. I love how they remind me to be thankful every day. Listen, there aren’t many days when we are thankful for everything that happened that day but we can all find one thing we are grateful for each day. Every night, before I fall asleep I go through the list of things I was thankful for that day. I think it’s good to fall asleep thinking about the things that make you happy. I'm a big believer that it will help you wake up happy too.

I saw a quote recently on Pinterest that said “When you are in the shower and you hear loud thumps you think ‘They are killing my family and I will have to fight the attacker naked’”. How true is that?! I hear “intruders” most often when I am home by myself. I imagine the bathroom door sliding open and an intruder walking in while I’m in the shower. I can only imagine what a sight it would be to be slipping around on the floor trying to fend off an attacker while I’m buck naked.  All I can imagine is all the cat hair dust bunnies that would be stuck to me after rolling around on my bathroom floor. I’m pretty sure any attacker would flee at the sight of me naked before I would have to attempt to “take him down” so I’m not too worried about it. But I do think about it from time to time.
 I don’t know who John Burroughs is but I found a great quote by him that completely describes how I feel every day: “I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see.”  I have lots of lists, in my cute little notebooks, of all the things that need to get done each day. And after doing all that “stuff” and getting the kids off to bed, it’s generally around 9:30 or 10 and I want to turn back the clock. There are at least 2-3 nights a week where I don’t go to bed until 1 because I want to make new lists of things I thought of that day that I want to do, or I can’t put a book down, or I want to catch up on some shows on the DVR, or I want to research places for our next camping trip, or I want to stare at my living room for awhile and think of ways I could rearrange the furniture. I just don’t feel like there is enough time in the day to do the things I want to do. I typically regret it the next day because I am so tired but in the moment, I love staying up and just doing what I want to do in the silence of my house.

 I’m a big believer in the saying “Everything happens for a reason.” My kids hear me say it to them at least once a week…and they are sick of hearing it. Last year Jack didn’t make the middle school soccer team, the first school sport he had tried out for. He was disappointed, of course and I felt so badly for him. I hate to see my kids disappointed and sad. A few days later he broke his arm in his town soccer game.  When he was getting his cast on I turned to him and said “See, everything happens for a reason. You didn’t make the soccer team because God knew you were going to break your arm and wouldn’t be able to play anyways. So, he gave someone else a chance on the team.” Jack thought about it for a minute and said “I think you’re right.”  I don’t know that I was right but it was a nice way to soften the edges of the hurt.  There are many times I have no idea why something happened but I try to have faith in the fact that there was a good reason. The other day I saw something on Pinterest that made me think of another perspective:  “Everything happens for a reason but sometimes things happen because you are stupid and make bad decisions.”  Totally made me laugh. Who knows why things really happen…could be fate..or could be your stupidity!
Speaking of stupidity, I saw this quote the other day and wondered why I hadn’t come up with this idea myself: “When I buy new clothes I take a red pen and mark all the prices down on the tags so my husband thinks they were on sale. He thinks I am the best shopper.” Timmy loves a good deal. He would probably be agreeable to me shopping more if he thought I was the best bargain shopper in the world. Now that he is probably reading this I don’t think he will ever believe me again when I say “It was on sale!”

We are getting ready to head out on our next camping adventure to the Outerbanks. We have never been but everyone that has gone has remarked on how relaxing it is. I’m all for relaxation.  I just want to go to the beach, read books, and have no plans. I came across a quote in a book the other day that said “I love that feeling in summer when you just don’t have a clue what day it is.” To me, that is the best feeling. I am looking forward to feeling that at least once during my vacation.
Share your favorite sayings with us…..I know you have one…everyone does.

1 comment:

  1. First, I share your love of little notebooks, I have one I bought recently for a $1 at Target at it's little paisley pattern makes me smile. And right now, my fav saying for myself and those around me "Check yourself, before you wreck yourself." If more people took a moment to think before speaking or acting, we all might be in a better place. :)

    ReplyDelete