Friday, July 27, 2012

The Race of Time

The summer is going by so fast. I am finding myself very anxious about it. It's how I feel when I go to Brimfield Antique Fair. I am so excited to go, find my head swiveling this way and that, but about 1/2 hour in after I haven't found anything to buy I panic. I think I am missing the most perfect thing to buy. Once I make my first purchase I feel so much relief. My friend Beth and I call it "Breaking the Seal". Just buy something little and then you won't feel so much pressure to find a great buy.

I feel the same way about summer. I love the unstructured days, the warmth, the lack of schedule, the casual feel to it all. I wish it could be summer all year long. I suppose it could if I lived someplace else but I don't want to live anyplace else. Once summer arrives, suddenly it is okay that we eat at 7:30 at night instead of 6. No one complains about it. We don't complain to Tim when he suggests we go everywhere in the jeep with no top on it. Suddenly it's fun instead of cold.

And here we are at the end of July and I'm totally panicking because I don't want it to end. I want the world to just slow down and have the summer feel long for once. Once August hits, for me that is the signal that summer is really coming to a close. The air starts to change a little and you can feel Fall coming on.

I have never uttered the words "This summer was too long!" Instead it feels like each year summer goes by faster and faster. I wonder when I am retired and have all the time in the world to do what I want, will I think "Boy, I wish summer would just end!" If you do hear me utter those words I will likely be sitting inside with the air conditioner on full blast, wearing a sweater and some "slacks". God help me if that happens.

I have so many more plans for the summer. I want to be able to fit them all in and savory every moment. This week while we are on vacation, I'm going to make a list with the kids of all the things we have done so far. I think that helps to remember that you did actually fit a lot in. Of course I'm making a list, right....we'll make it in one of my cute notebooks too.

When I picked Mimi up at camp today she said "I wish summer would slow way down. I am having so much fun but it is going by too fast." Funny that we were both thinking the same thing today.

Do you feel the summer goes by too fast or is it just me?  

No comments:

Post a Comment