Friday, June 15, 2012

What Do You Do?

I have to admit, I have a pretty cool job. On my sabbatical list 2 years ago was to find a job with a socially conscious company that allowed me to do meaningful work while providing a work/life balance. I really didn't think I would find it, although at the time, I was working with such a company before I even left Fidelity. In my job, I often consulted with Collective Next and they were considered the "cool kids"...wearing jeans, "chunky glasses", and carrying forth a collective spirit of teamwork and passion. I so wanted to be a cool kid....

As I was leaving Fidelity, Matt, the CEO of Collective Next, approached me and said if I were interested in working with them in the future, I should call him. It seemed too perfect and I spent months exploring all different kinds of options before I contacted him. Like in the dating world, they seemed "too perfect" and I didn't want to get my hopes up. Fast forward almost a year after my sabbatical and I accepted a position with them. Today, I work with incredibly creative, fun people doing interesting, inspiring work. But, as Mimi often asks, "What do you DO?" I describe it as helping companies rapidly solve business problems in a very creative way." In addition, I help keep our company focused on our own growth and development, which is hard when you focus on that as your day job for other businesses each day.

I count myself as one of the lucky few that get to do a job they love every day with people who make them laugh and feel appreciated each and every moment. How many times a week do you laugh at work til you almost tinkle?! This happens to me multiple times a week. If you know me at all, you know I love to laugh so this is such an important element of every day for me. I used to work at a job where I laughed maybe once  a week. At Collective Next, I feel at home...a place where I can laugh each day, have fun with my friends, yet still contribute significantly to the company's success.

My colleauge, Mason Smith, recently started a series called Transcribe Live in the Lab, which is our collaborative effort to focus on a particular topic and get people to share their thoughts and opinions. I have not been able to join until today, but if truth be told, I was nervous about attending...feeling as though I might not have much to add because in the scheme of things I work with incredibly creative people. As I tell my kids all the time, "never sell yourself short...you have more to offer than you believe."  and today I found this to be true. Our work is collaboration. And true collaboration involves sharing your thoughts collectively to creative something powerful and meaningful. Today, I felt a part of that. Check out our discussion and comment on it, tweet it, think about it!
http://collectivenext.com/blog/dirty-little-secrets-transcribed


1 comment:

  1. very cool job you have.... you are in your element. I am a collaborator at heart and very focused on process improvement, so the blog really hit home as many other facets of their website. It is bookmarked as a favorites when I have more time will definitely revisit. Thanks for sharing!!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete