Monday, March 12, 2012

The Thirty Day Challenge

Well, my thumb has recovered but now Tim and the kids are calling me Thumbalina. I'm not sure I'll ever hear the end of not using the guard on the mandolin. Apparently it IS there for a reason.

But on to other things. A friend of mine told me about a woman she read about who was challenging herself to wear something different for 30 days straight. She asked if I thought I could do it. It's funny...for the first few months of this job, I felt like I wore a new outfit every day. Part of it was a result of being able to dress more casually, which opened up many more options in my closet. I could pair a t-shirt and jeans with a blazer or a skirt with a cardigan and fun necklace. The other part of it was that I was working in a creatively charged environment which inspired me to really try different things. Almost a year and a half in, I feel like I have nothing to wear, yet I still have all those clothes. I think we all get sick of our clothes after awhile and we lose sight of the creativity within our own closet.

So, I decided to take on the challenge and try to wear something different for 30 days. I am a creature of habit and when I find outfits that I like, I tend to wear them over and over. But, I am almost two weeks in and have found myself wearing things that had become invisible in my closet...and I like the outfits I'm coming up with. Just to back up for a minute to the "rules"...these are self-imposed rules, of course. Let's be honest, most of us don't have 30 pairs of pants or 30 different shirts..so my rule is that I can rewear items of clothing but I can't repeat the same outfit twice. I have to admit, this takes some creativity. And I wish my closet was a bit different but I doubt I will ever feel like I have all the right clothes.

I have very often been inspired by the JCrew catalog...I feel like they pair unusual colors together...hot pink with purple, bright blue with yellow and green, the combinations are so creative...and I wouldn't think them up on my own. I have looked there for inspiration lately. And of course, Pinterest, my latest obsession has some great ideas. One of my new favs is grey with coral. Can't get enough of it...well, according to my rules, I have to be very careful and not wear it too much because I'll end up repeating my outfits.

If you know me, you know I love a challenge...especially one against myself. This is forcing me to think more creatively, be more resourceful, and get out of my clothing rut. It's been great. Of course, I'm not quite 2 weeks in so let's see how I do in another week. Do you think you could do it? Hopefully I have inspired you to also take the 30 day challenge. Let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment