Friday, March 23, 2012

Summer, Summertime!

Okay, maybe it isn't summer yet but it sure felt like it this week! Isn't it funny what a difference a little sun and warmth does to everyone? People are in a much better mood and give each other the benefit of the doubt. There is a spring in everyone's step, strangers say hello to each other, and people smile more in general.

I'm going to run another 5K this year...my second one. Last year, my friend sucked me into a "Couch to 5K" training class...basically it is a running class for people who don't run...and in 8 weeks they are able to run a 5K. I dragged my body out of bed 3 days a week at 5:30 am and rain in the dark, cold, and heat throughout the spring. For the record, I absolutely hate early mornings, being cold, and cutting into my sleep. At the end of the second class as we were nearing the end of our run, one of the women in the class, bent over and hurled in the bushes?! Full on throw up, people! If someone had filmed my face at that moment, I'm sure my eyeballs came out of my head and I screamed a silent scream. I had to seriously ask myself what I was getting myself into on the way home that day. However, it all culminated with completing my first 5K which felt great and I'm ready to do it again, despite the crazy throw up in the bushes. So, this time, I have been running to get ready for my running class. Typical former Type A-er, right?

I traveled to DC for work the other day and took a nice jog around the White House. I'm a nosey person so I had a lot to look at and take my mind off the fact that my lungs were trying to jump outside of my body. I was able to push away the noise of myself breathing heavy and my legs begging me to stop. I was able to run for 30 minutes straight which was amazing to me! I was inspired when I got home so I ran the very next day. Somehow the 'hood just didn't do it for me and about a minute in I didn't think I could go any longer.

That's when the beauty of springtime cast its magic spell. Everyone I encountered...people walking their dogs, moms walking their kids to the bus stop, people out jogging...everyone said hello and smiled. If it was cold, people would have been huddled inside themselves and not even looked up. Instead we were saying "Good Morning!", "How are you!" , "Beautiful morning, isn't it?!"

That's when I came across my little old friend. A little old man....probably about 80 years old....shuffling along with his cane. He was cruising! I was towards the end of my run and I thought I just couldn't go a minute more and then I saw him. The sweetest little old man, looking very dapper, and shuffling like mad with his cane. He was obviously out on his morning walk and I give him so much credit for getting out and making such an effort. He stopped for a minute, looked over at me, and said "Good Morning, Young Lady!" First of all, it's been awhile since someone called me a young lady. And secondly, there is nothing like the good old fashioned manners of an older gentleman. Sweet little old men are my kyrptonite.

And then it hit me....how can I stop running right now if this sweet little man can shuffle along with his cane?? I decided at that moment that when I fell like giving up and stopping, i will think of him and remember that if he can get himself motivated to walk outside each day, when walking is a challenge, then surely I can run a few more minutes. Nothing like a little Grandpa to give you some motivation. Who needs the sun?!

Switching gears completely, just to give you an update on my 30 day challenge to wear something different every day, I have been doing really well. I have to say, I have come up with an additional new rule. Don't expect me to wear different work out clothes for 30 days. Don't even expect me to work out 30 different days. That's crazy talk. Other than that, I have worn a different outfit every day and I have been loving the challenge. I hope you are trying it too! I also hope you will find your own Little Old Man Motivation to get out do something outside your comfort zone. Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment