Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Oh, Those Babies...

Practically everyone in my office was sick last week. Some people had a full blown cold, while others had bad sore throats and the chills. On Day 3 of the epidemic, I woke up with a bad sore throat that persisted for 3 days. I knew it was only a matter of time before someone in my house got sick too. We made it all the way through the weekend, with delusions that everyone had escaped The Sickness. On Monday morning when I went to wake up Jack he was already awake...had been for a few hours, because he had a horrible stomach ache and sore throat.

Usually when my kids are sick, they come in during the middle of the night, stand close to my face and say things like "Mom, I feel like I'm going to throw up." I've never understood why they just don't go into the bathroom and throw up. Why must they announce it to me and then barely make it to the bathroom. This usually leaves me cleaning up vomit at 2 in the morning...which usually makes me vomit. Timmy usually sleeps through the whole thing and is surprised to find out when he wakes up in the morning that anyone has been sick.

Since Jack hadn't come in, and didn't need to throw up, I was completely taken off guard that he was sick. He was as hot as my electric blanket...and yes, I am using it already. I gave him an Advil and tucked him right back into bed. I happened to be working from home so I was a little giddy with the prospect of having a sick child at home. I know...sick thought, right?

I love a sick kid. Not one that is sick with a life threatening disease or some crazy scary sickness, like the time Mimi got some crazy virus in her eye, was rushed to a hospital in Boston, and almost needed brain surgery. No, not that kind of sick. And not the diarrhea, throwing up kind of sick. That just makes me want to be sick. I also don't like the little kid I'm-Sick-So-I'm-Going-To-Cry-All-Day-Sick.

But I do like the kind of sick where your child just wants to curl up with you and snuggle...and have you rub their heads...and have you make them toast with the crust cut off, loaded up with butter. I like to dote on them, heap blankets on them, and kiss them often on their hot little foreheads. I love that I make them feel better just because I am their Mom. No offense or nothin', but Dads just don't make the cut here. Kids want their Moms when they are sick. And Moms want their kids to want them. It's how we all roll.

Tim and I have always talked about having more kids, but we have never been in agreement at the same time. Our deal was we would have to agree we wanted another baby at the same time for at least 6 months. It's never happened. As a result, we are crazy for babies. Seriously goo-goo for babies. Put one in front of us and we talk in high pitched voices and fight over who gets to hold the baby. This usually results in the baby frantically looking for its mother and squirming to get away from us. Lucky for us our families are still cranking out little Goo Goo Babies so we get our fix on a regular basis. I understand why people have Duggar-size families. Ok, wait. I didn't mean that. I understand why people have up to 6 kids or so...not 19. They want that baby fix. And when those babies grow older and independent, the only time they get that little snuggle baby fix is when they are sick...so then they have another... which gives them the fix they need for a few more years.

I could never have had more than 2 kids. The reason we have never agreed on having another at the same time is God's Way. He knows I am a Virgo...he's kinda responsible for that. I need order, I don't like chaos. Multiple kids = chaos. There are only 4 of us in the house and by Wednesday, the disorder of our lives is enough to give me hives when I come through the door after work. Oh, and this week we moved the bunny inside and there is hay all over my floors again. AAAAHHH!!! Another reason I won't ever make it on a farm....

Anyways, I digress. Back to my sick boy. I was a little disappointed when he got up on Wednesday feeling better and went back to school. He's a pretty affectionate kid but he has gone back to not needing me. Just the night before, I rubbed his forehead for half an hour. I can't get near his head now...because it has a headset on it and it's playing some shoot em' up video game.

Secretly I am hoping Mimi goes down like a ton of bricks any day now. Then I'll have someone else to dote on, snuggle with, make toast for, and get my little sick kid fix. They grow up so quick, don't they?

1 comment:

  1. You sound just like me. When my kids were your kids age I would say "Remember If you don't feel well at school I will come get you." They would say "I'm fine" and I would say "Are you sure you don't look well," Then they would say "Do you want me to stay home or something". LOL I have three kids and would love the one on one time. I miss those days so much. Great post as usual Kelly!! You always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete