Monday, October 4, 2010

Dark and Stormy

When I got back from Ohio, I was laying in bed with Mimi and she asked if I had fun that weekend. I shared with her a life lesson that I didn't want her to forget. "You will always love your family and miss them when you go away but" I said, "it's so important to take time for yourself and take time with just your husband every once in awhile." I told her it didn't mean I didn't want to be with them, but those little times when you get to sneak away are key to your happiness as a person. "Mimi, you can never forget that you are an individual and you need to make sure you take time for you and what makes you happy."

I am lucky enough to have had the opportunity to have a girl's weekend two weekends ago and then time with my hubby and friends last weekend. On Friday, Tim and I jetted off to Nantucket with 4 other couples for a sailing weekend. We didn't actually jet or sail tho. Initially, some of us (note: there is no "me" in "us") were going to sail over, while the others took the ferry over, but the weather didn't look too good so we all opted to just take the fast ferry and stay at an Inn.

Group #1 departed late morning, arriving on the island to sunny skies, around noon. I should mention that, true to form, I packed 5 pair of shoes, 6 sweaters, 6 pairs of pants, multiple tops, workout gear, and enough accessories for each wardrobe change. It's important to be prepared and look cute. It's also important to pay attention when you use your cell phone's GPS...so that you don't walk the driving directions. This can be a problem when it's warm and sunny and you are pack muling 2 bags and a purse in a complete circle.

After dropping off our stuff at the Inn, we headed to Arno's at 41 Main for a delicious lunch accompanied by a few beers from the local brew house, Cisco Brewery. Then it was off to pick up our rental jeep and head to the actual brewery for some fun. On our way, the skies opened up to some crazy wind and lots of rain. Not only were the skies darkening, but our day was beginning to turn...

While at the brewery we came across Bernie from Weekend at Bernie's. We had fun taking our picture with him laying in his adirondack chair when we thought he was dead. I think that is when his wife took notice of us and said that he was a nurse that had been on call for like 24 hours. Oh...sorry. Last call at the brewery was at 5:00. What the what??!! In hindsight, that was a good thing. Bernie probably would have ended up in our jeep if we stayed much longer.

Group #2 arrived around 5:30 and we met them at the closest bar to the ferry...because surely they would be thirsty after their travels...and it was pouring so we needed someplace to go to stay dry. The most logical place is a bar, right? This is when half of the group started downing Dark & Stormy's. It is the most logical drink to have when experiencing a rain storm, right? It's unclear (maybe not to all of us) how long we were at the bar but eventually we returned to the Inn to drop off Group #2's bags and change...except I don't think anyone actually changed. I have no more comments on this part of the day....Insert beeping of emergency broadcast system here.

We had a very nice dinner at Cambridge Street and then it was off for some dancing at The Rose and Crown where we danced to some great 80s tunes. You wouldn't think you could bust a move to "Come on Eileen" but let me tell you, it can be done and done quite well. The place began to fill up but for the most part, we had a big piece of the dance floor to ourselves. Not only were we the best dancers in the house, but we all could have been international singing stars as well. We rocked the house. In hindsight, I think we had so much dance space because we were scaring everyone else away. Have you seen white men dance? Well, we had 5 of the finest with us.

At the end of the night, my toes somehow got stuck under a table and I incurred an injury, two broken toes. It didn't slow me down much tho. While I was nursing my wounds, my husband and his brother were out hunting for the rain jacket he left someplace during the night. Turns out it was in our bedroom afterall. Lucky for him, because I was up nursing my busted toes, I was able to answer his text when he asked "Where are we staying? I don't know how to find my way home." Take it from Timmy, it's important to find out the name of the place you are staying at when someone else makes the reservations.

Day 2 arrived with beautiful sun and 10 people moving much slower than the day before. We headed for the beach around 11 but somehow we didn't arrive until about 2. Even though the island isn't very big, things just took longer for some reason. We had a "girl" and "boys" jeep. During one stop, we heard that the boys were talking about different types of trees. Guys, these are the signs that you are getting older...

We finally landed at the beach and it was a gorgeous day! We set up camp in our beach chairs, got out our educational materials (People & Us magazines), and had some food and beverages. The boys swam with the seals and then wandered off to fish. We decided to get some self-timed shots of our group, and at one point a nice man who was parked next to us wandered over and offered to take our picture. He did leave his shadow in pretty much all the pictures so although it was a nice gesture, we thanked him and sent him on his way. It was at this point we decided to take a picture of ourselves in a pyramid...but we had to do it behind the jeep so the nice man wouldn't come over and offer to help again. Imagine...we were hiding from someone who was nice. In Ohio, where everyone is nice and it comes naturally, the person would have been invited to be a part of the pyramid. But we are from the Boston area....where being nice feels unnatural so we hid.

Well, let me just say, that getting 5 ladies into a pyramid, while taking a self timed photo...while hiding from someone who could easily take our photo...and trying to hurry because the boys were on their way back and we didn't want them to see us.... can really result in potential loss of bladder control. Our "parts" just aren't what they used to be.

A few posts ago I said that even long time friends learn something new about each other each time they get together. Who knew we would discover that our friend Cori likes Celine Dion?! (And yes, Cori, I am outing you right now by mentioning your name.) Now right now you are either saying "OMG, I hate Celine Dion!" or you are saying "Oh, I like her!" There is no in between, and both reactions are strong. Really?! Celine Dion?? A song of hers had come on the radio and 1 of us, who was not like the others, said "Oh, I like that song." You have never seen 4 women turn on another so quickly. She was lucky she made it out alive. Then she started with "But, she's such a nice person..." Hey, Cori, last time we hung out, I don't recall Celine being with us.....you don't know her....let it go. We met up with the boys at the Chicken Box and we just couldn't wait to share the news..."Guess what! Cori likes Celine Dion!!" One husband said he liked her and recounted the tough life she had...his wife pointed out that was actually Shania Twain to which he replied, "Oh, I like Shania...I hate Celine Dion!" My friend Sanchez called her Salon Dalon....it might have been the beer talking. Then he said "Isn't that the African American woman who can read minds?" Ah, that's Dion Warwick. "Oh, yeah, then I don't like Salon Dalon either!" Let's just say that 9 out of 10 people in the group felt strongly that Celine Dion needed to go. Cori was lucky she got to stay.

Let's just say that the night ended with more dinner and more dancing...although there was more watching going on than dancing. A bridal party showed up after a wedding at the Rose & Crown and it was a messy, enjoyable show. I left wondering how all those people would feel the next day...probably like how we all felt when we had woken up that morning.

The next day the ladies shopped while the boys took their last jeep joyride around the island. Then it was off to lunch before heading home. A group of ten in any restaurant is likely to be loud...and quite honestly, we were just hoping not to get kicked out of a restaurant...or our Inn... over the weekend. Anytime the 10 of us get together, we make fun of each other and laugh uncontrollably. This last lunch was no exception but it was a great last moment to a truly memorable weekend. As we were leaving I asked the girls, "Do you think we will always act like this when we get together or at some point will we get mature?" There was no hesitation when everyone responded "We will always be like this." I think my friend Cori Dion said it best when she said "I am responsible and adult every day at home...when I go away, I want to just have fun and not be that responsible person for awhile." Let's raise our Dark & Stormy's to that, Cori!

It's always tough when you spend a great weekend with friends because the next few days you go through withdrawal, especially when the weather is rainy for the two days following your trip. And that is the sign that you truly have some great friends. Rather than saying "God, I couldn't wait to get home... or I couldn't wait to get away from them..." you are saying "I miss them...when can we do that again?" Here's to remembering to take time with your friends, making great memories, laughing til you "squirt", and being irresponsible even when you have reached a "responsible" age!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a blast. You really can write an interesting story. Great visit I had today.

    ReplyDelete